Friday, May 28, 2010

Mary Ann Kirkby's I Am Hutterite Book Review

 Here is the description of I Am Hutterite by Mary Ann Kirkby: 

"I Am Hutterite takes readers into the hidden heart of the little-known Hutterite colony in southern Manitoba where author Mary-Ann Kirkby spent her childhood. When she was ten years old her parents packed up their seven children and a handful of possessions and left the security of the colony to start a new life. Overnight they were thrust into a world they didn't understand, a world that did not understand them.

Before she left the colony Mary-Ann had never tasted macaroni and cheese or ridden a bike. She had never heard of Walt Disney or rock-and-roll. She was forced to reinvent herself, denying her heritage to fit in with her peers. With great humor, Kirkby describes how she adapted to popular culture; and with raw honesty her family's deep sense of loss for their community. More than a history lesson, I Am Hutterite is a powerful tale of retracing steps and understanding how our beginnings often define us.


Controversial and acclaimed by the Hutterite community, Kirkby's book unveils the rich history and traditions of her people, giving us a rare and intimate portrait of an extraordinary way of life." 

My Review:

I Am Hutterite is a great book about people who rely on faith and religion to see them through and about struggling through the abuse of power. This a great boo that describes a girl life and struggles in an Amish Community. Hutterite sees what her parents face when it comes to life in the Amish and this book describes their life and the day her family found freedom by moving away from the colony. This makes you appreciate what you have.

Overall I love I Am Hutterite. It really makes you see what you have and feel for the characters of this book. I would recommend this book to others. I think many religious organizations would love this book. This book is priced at $9.99 here. 

Disclaimer: A book was received for review but no other compensation was acquired. All opinions are mine and are valid. They were not swayed either way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I think you meant to say "Hutterite Community" not "Amish Community"

    I was born and raised in a Hutterite colony, and actually still live in one. I have my personal review of this book posted on my blog. Check it out if you can find the time...

    http://blogs.allhutterites.com/lightofevenstar

    ReplyDelete