Friday, April 2, 2010

Gail Fraser’s Lumpy Lines Book Review

"The Montis Abbey compound was originally built as a monastery in 1893, one of the older in our country, and it sheltered an order of as many twenty-eight monks at its most active peak in the last century. At that time Farm to Market Road was a narrow dirt lane for horse-drawn carts that came to a small village north of Woodrow Lake (close to what is now the town of Lumby) for fishing and trade. While making their dusty way along the lake, travelers would stop by the abbey for food and lodging, knowing that the monks were a hospitable, albeit quiet, lot." - excerpt from The Lumby Lines.”

Have you or someone you know ever had to start over. If you have or have known someone who has gone through this then you know how hard it is. I remember when I moved from California to North Carolina it was hard adjusting here. No it is not quite the same but it was still a difficult process so I can’t imagine going to a new place with nothing and no one. Lucky for my family we have friends here in North Carolina. This is why I was so excited that I was lucky enough to receive Lumpy Lines from Gail Fraser for review.

Lumpy Lines is about strength and perseverance. It is also about good old fashion neighborly hospitality. The Characters in Lumpy Lines, Mark and Pam Walker came to Montis Abbey that was nearly destroyed by a fire with a vision. They left behind their lives on the east coast to restore and old abandoned monastery to turn into an historic inn that they have always dreamed of. But some of the residents are not to welcoming to outsiders or change and decide to try to through a monkey wrench in their plans.

Mark and Pam Walker figure out real fast that it is going to be hard to win over the community Lumpy especially with people like William Breezer trying to cause drama and hinder the couple’s efforts. Soon the couple begins to realize not all of the residents share Williams’s views and some even offer a hand. Soon it becomes clear to Mark and Pam Walker that Lumpy is not just a place but a way of life.

I loved this novel. Not only did I find it humorous or entertaining but Lumpy sounded like my old home town called Lawn located in Texas. My favorite characters where the humorous trades people who came out of the wood work to help every now and then. I think a lot of us trade with our friends. I know we did in our small town. It was a way of survival and helping us out. This novel took me home.


Gail Fraser did an awesome job of capturing the strength of Mark and Pam trying to persevere against what some could call harsh judgment. She captured their love as they had to depend upon one another. She also did an awesome job of capturing the essence of what small towns are like.

I would recommend Lumpy Lines to my friends and family I felt it was a good and entertaining read.

You can find out more about the Lumpy Lines series and author here.

You can purchase Lumpy Lines for $10.08 here.

Thank you to FSB Media for providing this title for our book review. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment