Friday, April 2, 2010

Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change Book Review

“As models turned psychotherapists, Vivian Diller, Ph.D., and Jill Muir-Sukenick, Ph.D., have had the opportunity to examine the world of beauty from two very different vantage points -- one where looks are all-important, and the other where they are often viewed as irrelevant. This unique perspective helped them develop a six-step program that starts with recognizing "uh-oh" moments, examines the emotional impact of aging on self-image, and ends by suggesting innovative ways to approach beauty throughout life, so you can enjoy your appearance -- at any age!”

My mom used to tell me that she was proud of her grey hairs and wrinkles and that the earned every one of them. I always thought that was odd because society always advertises aging as a bad thing. Who knew it was a healthy way to think about aging. I received Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change by Vivian Dillar Ph.D. and Muir-Sukenick Ph.D. for review. I was really exited to receive this book because I am 30 years old now and I have noticed signs of aging like most women and like most women I don’t like it. I wish I could stay youthful up to the day I die but let’s face it, that is never going to happen! When men age they age gracefully but when us women age we just get old fast it seems like.

Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change by Vivian Dillar Ph.D. and Muir-Sukenick Ph.D. explains not only the physical aspect how women obsess and define themselves by their looks but also the phycological factors of how women use beauty to define who they are. According to this book our minds also control our outer beauty as well an inner beauty and we would be much happier not dwelling on things such a dreading the age factor. According to this book we should enjoy or looks as we age and not let our personal appearance define who we are.

Here are some tips from Vivian Dillar Ph.D. and Muir-Sukenick Ph.D. that can help you accepting and feeling good about your looks as they change:

1) Beauty is not just a physical experience, but a psychological one as well.
2) Although we can’t stop the physical changes of aging, we can change our experience of aging.
3) While aging is inevitable and irreversible, self-image is not. Self-image can be fluid and timeless.
4) Beauty is in the “I” of the beholder.
5) Chronological age does not have to define you. You can define yourself at your chronological age.
6) Put your beauty in your identity, not your identity in your beauty.
7) Take an honest look at who you are, not what you look like.
8) Rob beauty of its power over you.
9) Become less afraid of aging and you will look more beautiful.
10) Beauty matters to all women, but to those who age beautifully, it matters neither too much nor too little.

If you want more information on these tips and how to apply them to your everyday life you will have to read Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change or you can also check out this awesome article by Vivian Dillar Ph.D. and MuirSukenick Ph.D. here.

I really enjoyed reading Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change by Vivian Dillar Ph.D. and Muir-Sukenick Ph.D. I felt like this book really spoke to me as a woman who is starting to reach that peak where my body it changing. I never quit thought about beauty in the psychology since. This book gave me some really good points to think about as far as enjoying my changing looks and accepting them. I never thought about the fact that Grandmothers can be beautiful too but I have seen some really pretty older woman so I know this is true. I hope that I am like those women.

Also Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change made a good point about if you choose to enjoy your look as they change instead of obsessing on what some might call imperfections then you might be a happier person instead of letting a wrinkle or white hair make you feel inadequate about yourself. Remember like tip eight from above states, “don’t let beauty have power over you or your life!” Life is about you and what makes you happy. I don’t believe worry about looks all the time can make anyone happy. Plus I don’t believe that appearances define who we are as human beings. I believe other deeper characteristics define us, like this wonderful book says.

Overall I loved Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change and I would recommend it to my friends and family. I feel this book can help many women by connecting with some of the emotions they are feeling about themselves and how they view themselves. I also think that maybe reading this might open some eyes to the fact that there is beauty in age but what really counts is what is inside.

You can buy Face It: What Women Really Feel as Their Looks Change here for $16.97 and it is well worth every penny. 

Thank you to FSB Media for providing this title for our book review. We were in no way paid or compensated for our opinions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment