Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Digital Camera Review

I consider myself a knowledgeable experienced amateur photographer. I have been perfecting my photography for 5 years now and I am becoming rather good at it. I have won a few photo competitions and I am always looking for ways to better myself. Photography is a passion of mine and I have a lot of fun with it. One of the most important tips about producing good photography is having good quality equipment to take photos with.

I would say I have had my Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 for about a year now. I upgraded from a Sony Alpha DSLR-A100. I was so happy with my Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 I decided to stay with the Sony Alpha DSLR’s.

I love my Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 broad functional feature set. Not only do I have more options with the Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 compared to the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 but the broad functional feature set is so easy to figure out and use. This is a must when it comes to photography. I found that the broad functional feature set has many functions. My favorites are the ISO and I also like the basic picture styles for taking your photos such as landscape or portrait. I have had a lot of fun exploring the functional feature set. The best way to learn these features is to read the manual then spend time playing with your functions to get more comfortable with them.

Another feature I love is the fast burst shooting performance and the continuous high speed shooting. This is awesome when trying to capture that one moment. It is also great when you need multiple exposures for a project such as a High Dynamic Range effect.

The LCD monitor is crisp and sharp. I love it. I can view my picture on it and it is always a guarantee that the picture I view on the LCD is exactly how my photo looks. Plus it makes reading menus for my Broad functional feature set so much easier.

The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 has inside image stabilization. This is a good compensation for shaky hands. You still need to be careful in areas that have little light and moving subjects when taking pictures because this can cause a blurry photo.

The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 has improved accuracy with moving objects. It comes with a center dual cross 11-point Auto Focus sensor that boosts Auto Focusing accuracy and speed to ensure fewer missed shots. The quick response helps ensure the quality and detail in a moving shot.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 also produces photographs with excellent quality and color. It has a BIONZ image processing engine that captures colors just as the human eye perceives them. The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 screens out noise during both RAW data conversion and image processing. This helps captures a photos detail, contrast and color. The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Also has a 12.24 Exmor Image Sensor that maximizes the performance potential of a lens lineup with 12.2 megapixel resolution. This makes Highlights and shadows richer. It also has a 3 layer low pass filter that preserves the high-resolution detail while suppressing effects and color history.

The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 flip-up flash covers a wide focal range and it synchronizes at 1/250 sec. It also supports red-eye reduction making better photo quality.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 also gives me plenty of image mode options such as photos captured in RAW, cRAW, RAW+JPEG, Extra Fine JPEG, Fine and Standard JPEG. I think that is an awesome feature. I love having thes choices and explore them all. I need them when it comes to playing with effects in photoshop.


Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 comes with a wireless remote control. This is way awesome. I love this extra you get with this camera. This means you can put yourself in the picture using this remote instead of being left out of the picture by taking the picture. This is awesome for family pictures.

The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 has a strong light weight body. It can stand some roughage but I am still very careful to take care of mine. I love how the Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 looks. To me it is one hot camera. I find the Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 easy to carry around. I try to take mine everywhere I go.

The Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 has an anti-dust coating which prevents static electricity buildup on the low-pass filter. The image sensor itself is fitted with an anti-dust system that dislodges dust particles every time the camera is switched off. A cleaner camera means better pictures.

I feel so much better with a Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 in my hand. I have more confidence in my photography skills. I am also more willing to explore these skills with a Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 because I feel I can’t go wrong being able to take high quality professional pictures. Plus I can take up to 650 shots on a fully charged NP-FM500H InfoLithium battery. (Oh in case you didn’t know that is the type of battery a Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 works on.) That is a lot of photos. You know taking that many photos you have a few great shots and that is really all you need to start up a photography portfolio

There is another wonderful asset to using a Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 and that is that the body is compatible with Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, Sony or Konica-Minolta lenses. I like the fact I have a variety of toys to choose from. This can be lots of fun.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Features
  • 12MP CMOS sensor, APS-C format (23.6 x 15.8 mm)
  • ISO range 100-6400
  • 3" LCD monitor, 920,000 pixels (640 x 480 x 3 (RGB))
  • 5 fps continuous burst speed
  • No buffer limitation with fast CF card and Large/fine JPEGs
  • Anti-dust system to shake dust off sensor
  • 40 segment metering system
  • Image Stabilization in body "Super SteadyShot"
  • Eye Start AF
  • 11 AF zones, 1 cross type, 10 linear type.
  • Shutter speeds from 30s to 1/8000s
  • Flash sync 1/250s (1/200s with Super SteadyShot on)
  • 95 percent viewfinder (0.9x)
  • Uses Compact Flash or Memory Stick PRO memory cards
  • Shutter speeds 30s to 1/8000s
  • Weight 768g (with battery)
  • Size - 5.6x4.1x3.1in (142x105x80mm) 

Features I liked:
  • Excellent photo quality
  • Well built, easy-to-hold body
  • Sensor-shift image stabilization reduces blur
  • Dust reduction system
  • 3-inch LCD display
  • RAW format support
  • Dynamic range optimizer effectively brightens up shadow areas of your photos
  • Dual memory card slots
  • Camera can be controlled over USB using bundled software
  • Wireless remote control included
  • HDMI video output port

Features I disliked:

  • Noise reduction a bit heavy at high ISOs 
  • Tends to underexpose a bit
  • Lots of buttons scattered on the body

A PDF copy of the User manual (and other A700 documentation) can be downloaded directly from the Sony website.

Overall I love this this camera and I take it everywhere with me. I would recommend it to anyone. It is a wonderful photography asset.

You can purchase a Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 here for $684.00. That is a good price for this camera.


1 comment:

  1. Its exceptionally streamlined and comfortable shooting design impresses me.Its broad and functional feature set including sensor-shift image stabilizer can attract anyone.Its excellent photo quality and fast burst-shooting performance forces you to buy this camera.

    find coupon

    ReplyDelete