Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pregnancy Tips

Before I had my son I experienced something traumatic. I had a miscarriage.
It was one of the most emotional experiences I have ever experienced in my
life. I was 6 weeks into my pregnancy when I woke up one morning to this
awful tragedy. I wondered what I did even though I was told that their was
nothing I did wrong. I just thought to myself, could it have been this or
that! What could I have done differently. Why did this happen? Now I wonder
sometimes what could have been if I had carried to term. This is normal
thoughts for anyone who has experienced this loss. Just remember as painful
as a miscarriage is it is not your fault if you have had one. Sometimes you
can do everything right and still have a miscarriage.

I put together some tips to help have a healthy pregnancy with less
discomfort as possible. Here are some ideas. If you have any helpful tips
that are not listed here please feel free to list them in the comments
section.

1. You are not eating for two! Gain the proper weight for your pregnancy.
You should only gain about 30 to 35 pounds in your entire pregnancy. With
this being said, make sure you are eating healthy balanced meals and for
snacks I would stick to fruits. Make sure you are taking your vitamins
everyday so your baby receives the nutrients he or she needs for fetal
development. You should only be consuming 300 more calories a day. Gaining
to much weight can cause an overweight baby or a more difficult pregnancy.

2. Make sure you are getting enough folic acid. You should be consuming at
least 400 mcg of folic acid each day. Folic acid is vital to a baby's fetal
development. The lack of folic acid can cause problems in a baby's fetal
development causing problems with your baby's developmental functions in the
future.

3. Abstain from all alcohol products including the occasional glass of wine.
Why tempt fate! Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is real and it can happen. Your risk
goes up just by consuming a small amount of alcohol. Your baby is small and
fragile. Alcohol can really cause him or her harm.

4. Give your body the sleep it needs. There is a reason why you are tired.
Your body is going through many changes. Your body needs the extra sleep so
your body can do the job it needs to in order to bring your baby into this
world safely. Carrying a baby to term can really take a lot out of a person.
You need to take care of you to.

5. Walk at least 30 minutes a day unless you are a high risk pregnancy.
Walking is healthy for you and your baby. Walking reduces stress and help
preserve muscle mass. Walking can also help give you an easier delivery
because you preserved your muscle mass. If you are a high risk pregnancy you
need to consult your doctor before any physical activity. High risk
pregnancies follow a different set of rules.

6. Try to keep your stress levels at a minimum. It is important not to let
your emotions run wild. This can cause problems with your pregnancy because
your baby can feel what you are feeling. If you are feeling depressed a lot
for no apparent reason you should consult with your doctor. Pregnancy can
cause depression and you can get help for it. On a side-not when I felt down
or icky I would take a shower. I ended up taking 3-4 showers a day but I
felt better.

7. It is important to drink plenty of water during your pregnancy. You don't
want to dehydrate your fetus. Your baby needs a lot of water for
development. Dehydration can cause many problems such as pre-term labor or
even a miscarriage.

8. If you suffer from heartburn then I have a few tips that might help.
Sometimes a glass of water can help with heartburn. Sitting up sometimes
helps sooth heartburn. If you get it a lot heartburn at bedtime like I did
you can sleep somewhat sitting up if you need to. You can also take Tums.
Tums are safe and they help fight heartburn. Stay away from acidy foods and
coke. If all else fails go to your doctor. There are some medicines that a
doctor can prescribe that are completely safe that can help fight heartburn.
You know that old saying, "your baby is going to have hair if you have a lot
of heartburn," is not true. I had severe heartburn and both my babies where
bald.

9. If you are always having morning sickness then here are a few tips to
help. Sometimes eating 5 small meals a day can help. Fire Ball have been
known to help. Ginger in water has also been known to help. Also vitamin B
sometimes helps with this as well. If all else fails talk to your doctor. If
you still can't keep anything down this might cause a real problem for you
and your baby. You doctor might have to prescribe something to help you keep
vital nutrients in your body so your baby can grow like he or she needs.

10. If your body aches and your baby feels like he or she is going to fall
out of you at anytime. Talk to your doctor about a pregnancy support belt.
This belt helps support your baby and body. It is wonderful especially if
your back hurts. You will be able to tell a big difference right away after
putting the pregnancy support belt on.

These are just a few tips I thought I would share with you. I have two kids
and I know what it is like being pregnant. Some women have it easier than
others even though it is totally worth it in the end. Just remember even if
you do everything right sometimes things still happen. Just remember you are
not alone and it is not your fault.

On a side-note remember that breast feeding is the best milk for you baby.
Your breast milk is designed special for your babies needs. It is proven
that babies who breastfeed are sick less because of immune boost from breast
milk and that they become more intelligent people later in life. This is
also wonderful boding time for you and your baby. There are so many benefits
to breastfeeding, why choose anything else but the best for your baby!

0 comments:

Post a Comment